Saturday, January 29, 2011

Pack Walk

Today, Chloe, her brother and sisters, and I ventured out bravely (and probably crazily) for a walk on this beautiful day on some trails near our house.

This is the first time we've attempted an actual pack walk since Chloe joined our family. It went better than I expected, but we do need to work on it some. Rio forgets she is on lead and walks under the hounds which creates a tangled mess as you can imagine. Plus, everyone was excited to try and sniff everything.

For obvious reason, no photos were taken on this walk. The REAL test of strength came when walking back to the truck, 3 female deer were walking (and then running and leaping once they saw us). My heart dropped to my stomach because I thought how in heavens name I am I going to hold onto all 4 dogs. The deer were probably less than 50 feet in front of us.

Cori and Blaze saw the dear and froze. Their ears went up and they tried to dash. I held on, TIGHT. Fortunately, Rio and Chloe were just enjoying their walk and didn't see them until they had just gone down a ravine. Phew--disaster averted.

All in all, we had a nice little walk.

0 comments: